Policy H502: Visitors to the School
The Hancock School Committee encourages the active interest and involvement of parents and citizens in the Hancock Grammar School. In order to avoid interruption of the instructional program and to promote the safety of students and staff, the Hancock Grammar School Principal shall institute administrative procedures concerning visitors to the school. Such procedures shall be subject to the approval of the Superintendent.
The following general guidelines shall be incorporated in the administrative procedures concerning visitors.
1. The term “visitor” shall apply to any person on school grounds or in school buildings who is not an employee or student of the school unit.
2. All visitors shall report to the main office upon arrival at the school. This section shall not apply to parents or citizens who have been invited to the school for an open house, performance or other preplanned school program.
3. All visitors who wish to visit classrooms, observe aspects of the instructional program, or meet with staff members are expected to schedule such visits in advance. Teachers and other staff may not use instructional time to discuss individual matters with visitors.
4. Individual School Committee members shall follow the same procedures as other visitors, and state whether they are visiting the school on personal business or in connection with School Committee duties.
5. Visitors shall comply with all applicable School Committee policies and school rules. Visitors who violate these policies/rules or disrupt the safe and orderly operation of the school shall be asked to leave the premises.
6. The Principal has the authority to refuse entry to school grounds or buildings to persons who do not have legitimate, school-related business or who may disrupt the operations of the school. This may include, but not be limited to, the news media, profit-making businesses, fundraisers and other organizations seeking access to students or staff.
7. School staff shall report unauthorized persons on school grounds or in school buildings to the Principal. Unauthorized persons shall be directed to leave the premises immediately.
8. The Principal may request the assistance of law enforcement as necessary to deal with unauthorized persons or violations of the law by visitors to the school.
School Board >