Positive Behavior Interventions and Supports (PBIS)
POSITIVE BEHAVIOR INTERVENTIONS AND SUPPORTS (PBIS)
At HGS, we strive to recognize student's positive behaviors. We have learned from research and experience that this is an effective practice to promote student self-discipline and positive behaviors. Known as PBIS, our program has several factors:
- We work to recognize the positive behaviors students exhibit
- We have three central themes: Respect, Responsibility, and Teamwork
- We have behavioral expectations for all the settings in our school
- We spend time teaching and practicing the expected behaviors
As a staff we are committed to frequently acknowledging and rewarding students' positive behaviors through the following means:
- "Honey Cells." Each morning all staff members have a pocketful of honey cells, small hexagon-shaped tiles cut from yellow card stock. These are used to acknowledge and provide specific feedback to students when we see them demonstrating positive behaviors throughout the day. Students will use their "honeys" in their homeroom to help their class reach their classroom goals.
- "Shout Outs." Students also have an opportunity to be appreciated and celebrated for going above and beyond behavioral norms through our "Shout Out" program. How it works: All staff and students are invited to notice when another student or a staff member have been doing a fabulous job or have helped someone in a significant way. Students will write down the details of their appreciation on a “Shout Out” slip, show it to a staff member who will then attach the slip to our wonderful board in the school lobby. Each day students and staff will be recognized during announcements and given their shout out slips.
- "School is Hard" Monthly Celebration." To celebrate being a respectful, responsible school family who has been demonstrating strong teamwork in getting the hard work of learning done, the second Friday of every month will include celebration time. On these days we will begin our day with a short school-wide Morning Meeting in the gym. Each classroom will have an opportunity throughout the year to lead these special Morning Meetings. The meetings will include a celebration of all the people who have received Shout Outs during the previous month. Additionally, we will celebrate everyone's hard work with pizza and a movie celebration activity from 12:15 - 1:45.
- "Students-of-the-Week." Every week each classroom and specialist teacher select a Student-of-the-Week." To be selected students must have been a stand-out for the previous week in terms of effort, growth, friendship, responsibility, respect and/or teamwork. Every Friday, our Students-of-the-Week will be announced and these students will be celebrated in a Hall of Fame walkthrough receiving kudos and congratulations from our school community. Additionally, students-of-the-week will be recognized at our First Friday celebration and will receive a certificate of accomplishment.