Post date: Jan 15, 2019 2:38:37 PM
- The best way to prevent pertussis (whooping cough) among babies, children, teens, and adults is to get vaccinated.
- For more information on pertussis vaccines visit https://www.cdc.gov/pertussis/vaccines.html
- Pertussis spreads by coughing and sneezing while in close contact with others, who then breathe in the bacteria. Practice good hand hygiene to prevent the spread of respiratory illnesses. To practice good hygiene you should:
- Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue when you cough or sneeze.
- Put your used tissue in the waste basket.
- Cough or sneeze into your upper sleeve or elbow, not your hands, if you don't have a tissue.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds or use an alcohol-based hand rub if soap and water are not available.